Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A little late but better then nothing- YOU go GIRL half recap

I finally had some time today to rethink about this half marathon I did back on September 16. This was my second year doing this run, and my 4th half of the year. So last year I ran this race at 1:59:58 and placed 3rd in my age divison. :) So this year I had a goal to beat: I must beat 1:59:58, so anything before that would be awesome!!  The last long run I had done was the 10miler 2 weeks before this, so i knew I was going to struggle at mile 10+ I always do I guess I need to run more long runs or something to get my mind pass that struggle.
So the morning of the race I had my outfit all picked out, black sparkle skirt, green top and cute socks. It actually got warm wearing those socks but it was cold at the start. This was the first time I didn't really know anyone running this race. Tall Mom Mel was running, Meredith and kali.
Alright race mile recap!

Mile1- I lined up infront of the 2:00 pacers knowing I had to keep ahead of them to beat my goal. And we were off, the first mile was a slight downhill, I always enjoy it because its a road I dont run at all so everything is so new and exciting. I kept passing people which means I should probably start closer up next time. my miles were a little off but it balanced out in the end.
Mile2- this was still a slight down hill running. I kept my pace , and noticed a lot of homeless men standing on the streets watching us run past. Im not going to lie it was a little strange having them watch us run. Im glad cops were standing around. Knowing the turn around point was coming, I started seeing people running the other direction, saw Mel but she didn't see me.
Mile3- going up the slight hill now, I grabbed some water and slowed down a bit because I knew the wright park hill was coming and I wanted to run up it.
Mile4- the first runner was coming down the hill as I was coming to it. I thought wow she's fast!! I kept trucking along that hill to the park. Im glad this year that wright park wasn't muddy like last year. It was nice seeing things I dont run around often. I saw a customer perry in the park and we gave eachother a high five. that helped me keep going. :) Finally done with the park and knew it was some down hills for a while!
Mile5- down hill, and off of a sudden this guy started to talk to me, "did you run last week at the over the narrows race?" yes I did, "i thought you look familiar what was your time?" Uh around 1:30 " mine too we must have ran the same the whole time. Well turns out this guy and I kept passing eachother and i passed him when 2:00 pacers past me and I never saw him again until i was heading to the finish and he was still going towards the turn around point.
mile 6- this is where the course splits for the 10k finish. I kept thinkning should i stop to pee? but i knew if i did my goal would be out of sight. I saw Tony and kept going up the hill.
mile 7- hilly mile. i believe this is where I took a chump here and noticed the 2:00 were passing me and off i went passing them again.
mile 8- i was still ahead of the pacers and kept going.
mile9- flat on ruston way. I kept looking for that turn around point! I knew it had to be soon. But i hadn't really seen anyone coming the other direction yet. and finally i saw a few people coming i knew it was coming closer. I did pass Mel here she was on her way back and she looked in pain.
mile 10- this is where i start to struggle. i started to slow down and ran with the 2 paces because i knew a lady there. we talked for a bit and then i just kept going. but she told me that the 2 were going faster then expected. so then i knew if i could keep ahead of them I would be golden!
Mile 11- I seriouly start to struggle more here I need to do more long runs to get past this hurdle! I kept looking back and the 2 got to me. I started to talk to them and they said this was a great race and i said i ran this last year and they were 3 min ahead of 2hrs so i knew i had this! I then took off from them and off I went.
mile12- why does the last mile feel so long?! I started to slow down due to that over pass hill. A girl came to my left and started to push me saying I have good speed and keep going you got this. i think this helped alot! Im not going to lie i think she was pushing my limits! NO walking at this point! Thank you girl for your pushing! I told a girl on my right to keep going she looked like she was dieing too.
Mile13- finally got to the top of the hill and the girl was like GO sprint to the end you got this. so off i went running down that hill to the finish line. I turned the corner and off i went sprinting. I saw the time clock at 1:57:23 I knew i had just PR , i just kept sprinting maybe I had 1:56 because of when I started the race. So i kept going and i was happy no matter what my time was! I thanked the girl that pushed me and paul was there waiting for me. I checked my time and it was 1:57:03!! :) and I placed 6th in my age group. I almost got another award because it was the top 5. Oh well!
I was glad to be done!!

mile1-9:02
mile2-8:17
mile3-9:04
mile4-8:56
mile5-8:49
mile6-8:38
mile7-8:45
mile8-8:43
mile9-8:48
mile10-8:38
mile11-8:52
mile12-8:55
mile13- 8:55


Time: 1:57:03
Total over all finishers: 88/487
age division : 6/26
female finishers: 80/468
pace: 8:56

No comments:

Post a Comment