Wednesday, March 7, 2012

R.I.P Great-Grandma Nystul!

Jan 2, 1918-Mar 7, 2012.= 94 years of life.

My great-grandma Ruth passed today around 2pm Fargo time. You will be missed but you will be joined with your husband and family once again.

How many of you can say they knew their Great grandparents yet alone grandparents. I am very lucky to be able to actually have Great grandparents. I know I will always remember the good times, even tho it's harder to remember things about great grandpa, I will still enjoy all I can remember about those great people in my life.

My dad was raised by my great grandparents so she was like a mom to him. He was trying to make it to her before she passed but she didn't make it...Im sorry dad! She was the nicest person ever. Growing up/visiting she would always ask what should we do for "dinner/supper.." ALways severing others before sitting down to her food. Her food may get cold before she could actually enjoy it. She was still taking care of my grandpa (dad's dad), she would take a bus or cab and visit dale in the nursing homes, asking him to wipe his mouth and so on. She was still worrying about us too, and she never knew my parents have been divorced... but now they can not lie anymore to her...

She was still living on her own last year in an apartment. but then it got a little bit harder to get around. So she got moved to an assisted living housing but still had her own "place". Her brain was still there and she still looked like she was in her 80s but clearly was in the 90's! Her handwriting was still easy to read, it was getting a little sloppy  especially after breaking her arm, near the end but amazing!
Once she moved in this new place it was harder for her to get out to see Dale. She needed a walker to get around, but seriously still sharp person for her age!

I was glad I was able to see her one last time this past October. My dad kept saying " she's not going to be around much longer, better see her if your that close..." So back in October Paul and I went to a wedding in MN, and I asked to take a little trip to Fargo to visit great grandma. I hadn't seen her since 4 -5 years before that. So it was time to see her, probably for one last visit. I have to say Im glad I went. Im glad I spent time with her, even if we did just drive around, and eat. I kind of wished I stayed  more that last day we were there before heading back. But I can't change the past. But Im glad I was able to see her, spend time, and enjoy it.

I guess when your old you get sick alot. I guess she was eating and kept having problems with food and liquid getting stuck in her lungs. Which caused her to get pneumonia. She was then hospitalized. She went to hospice care on monday.  They were feeding her with tubes, and basically was on life support. She didn't want that to take away from the will? so with her, her drs, my dad and uncle they took her off life support tuesday and gave her pain medicines to wait.. I guess if she wanted something this morning they would give it to her, if she wanted a big mac or to watch tv she can. My dad called me last night and said she was off of life support, and johnny said her breathing was slowing down and probably only had a few hours left. I actually cried last night knowing all this is happening. I was scared for today and getting that phone call from my dad about she's gone. Instead of a call he had texted me. I knew it was home and I was scared to look at it. My dad flew from Florida and still didn't make it in time to see her one last time.
I got a text at 2 saying she had passed 2 fargo time. I was in public and I didn't want to cry so I knew she was finally in a Happy Place.
Great grandma we love you and you will be missed! We know you're in a better place, no pain, no more worrying, no more wars, just happy peaceful, and surrounded by loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment